His sister, Octavia Berry, married Lindsay Clifford. Their son Oscar Rankin Clifford married Nealia H. Cason and raised ten of twelve children on a farm on the high ground above Boyd’s Station.
Nealia later moved next to the Methodist Church in Boyd’s Station, where she donated a stained glass window of seeds being sewn on the fertile earth. Of all the changes throughout Boyd’s history, that window remains, looking out over Boyd’s history.
Their daughter Myrtle Cason Clifford married Calvin Luther Craig, a tobacco farmer and post office substitute who occasionally delivered U.S. mail by horseback. They moved to Boyd’s Station in 1927, buying a farm between the store and the bank with money they had saved selling eggs and green beans.
Their youngest daughter Kathryn Clifford Craig graduated from Berry High School and married Charles Harris Bell Jr., of Vicksburg, Miss. But they also returned to Boyd when it was time to retire. They had a daughter named Myrtle Bell Gruber, who still lives on the site today.
And now, Myrtle’s son Jack Gruber, a photographer, has come back home to create the artist enclave you see today.