Pulitzer Prize winning photojournalist Rick Loomis (b. 1969) has worked for the Los Angeles Times since 1994.
Born in North Carolina and raised in South Florida, Loomis became interested in photojournalism through a high school internship at the Palm Beach Post. After a two-year stint working in the Post photo lab he left to pursue a degree at Western Kentucky University. While in college, Rick twice placed in the top ten in the William Randolph Hearst Journalism Awards. Loomis had college internships with The Fort Wayne (IN) News-Sentinel, Colorado Springs Gazette, Seattle Times and Syracuse Newspapers. Loomis holds a BA in Photojournalism with a minor in Latin American studies.
Loomis has traveled the world documenting conflict and other issues in places like Iraq, Israel, Palestine, Afghanistan, Lebanon, Vietnam, Kuwait, Mexico, Haiti and Cuba. A professional with varied teaching and lecturing experience, Loomis has presented his work at the War and Media Conference in Berkley, CA as well other learning institutions such as UCLA, Western Kentucky University, USC, Elon University (North Carolina); Northern Arizona University; Cal State Fullerton; San Jose State and Ohio University.
He has lectured at various professional gatherings such as the World Press Photo exhibition (Crisis of Images, Images of Crisis), been a keynote speaker at Robert Hanashiro's Sports Shooter workshop sportsshooter.com, Julia Dean Photo Workshops as well as teaching photography at workshops for students and professionals at the Mountain Workshops (2003-2006) in Kentucky and as a team leader for the Eddie Adams Workshop Eddie Adams Workshop (2003).
- 2007 Pulitzer Prize for Explanatory Reporting latimes.com/oceans
- 2006 Scripps Howard Foundation National Journalism Award for Photojournalism
- 2007 Mark Twain Award for Excellence in News Photography
- 2003 NPPA Photographer of the Year
- 2007 Days Japan International Photojournalism Awards, Reader's Prize
- 2006 Pictures of the Year International, 3rd place Photographer of the Year
- 2006 John B. Oakes Award for Distinguished Environmental Journalism
- 2002 and 2004 California Photographer of the Year
- 2003 Southern Short Course Photographer of the Year
- 2004 Journalist of the Year, Los Angeles Press Club
- 2004 Pictures of the Year International, 3rd place Photographer of the Year
- 2005 Sidney Hillman Foundation award for Photography
- 2003 Society of Professional Journalists Sigma Delta Chi award for coverage of the war in Iraq
- 2002, 2003, 2004 nominations for Pulitzer Prize by the Los Angeles Times