BOYD, KENTUCKY, USA
Look it up on a map and the town is called Boyd, Kentucky. But over 200 years ago, it was nothing more than the spot where the Covington and Lexington railroad lines crossed near the south fork of the Licking River.
Because of its convenient location between the burgeoning cities of Cincinnati and Lexington, workers built a water station and coal supply for trains passing through. Andrew Boyd, Sr., a soldier in the War of 1812, liked what he saw and became one of the first settlers of the region, opening a distillery there along with his home.
Then came Thomas Boyd, who saw the growing village and decided to establish a trading post there on Dec. 8, 1854. To honor his ancestor who first staked his claim on the region, he named it “Boyd’s Station.”
The town kept growing, adding a depot, bank, telephone exchange, mill, tobacco warehouse, two stores and two churches. By 1880, village residents decided to simply call their home “Boyd.”
On December 8, 1854, on the site of a watermill built by Whitehead Coleman along the South Fork of the Licking River in 1810, Thomas Boyd established a trading post he named Boyd’s Station in honor of Andrew Boyd, Sr., an early Kentucky settler. In 1880, the outpost became simply known as Boyd.
Boyd is an early Kentucky settlement on the South Fork of the Licking River, 11 ½ miles NNW of the current day city of Cynthiana, the county seat of Harrison County. Boyd is located in the northern central region of Kentucky 45 miles north of Lexington, KY and 60 miles south of Cincinnati, Ohio.
Harrison County was formed in 1794. It is located in the Bluegrass region of Kentucky. The elevation ranges from 540 to 1060 feet above sea level. In 2000, the county population was 17,983 in a land area of 306.36 square miles, an average of 58.1 people per square mile.